Monday, July 9, 2012

Texas 2012

Omaha to Houston

The day of our traveling was mostly spent getting to Houston. We left the Omaha area after work on Thursday and drove to Wichita, primarily on two lane roads. Being the planners that we are – and since we’re experiencing a heatwave in the Midwest, we brought along a cooler of water bottles. It was a godsend. I also made a ziplock baggie of trailmix to cut down on gas station snack purchases. We encountered some road construction, but nothing awful on our way to Wichita. After getting to Wichita and paying the toll, we went to our hotel. We arrived around 10 p.m. tired and ready to call it a day, there were two vehicles from out of state in the loading area. Karson went in to check us in and I waited in the car. A little over five minutes later he came out shaking his head. The people ahead of him had not booked rooms and were trying to pay with cash.  They didn’t understand why the hotel still wanted them to put some type of card down for damage purposes.
Friday morning we set a goal to leave Wichita by 8 a.m. – so we were up and going by 7 and on the road by 8 a.m. We were rolling along just fine, we decided to stop in Norman because I was jonesing for an iced coffee – I needed my fix, we both needed a bathroom. We gassed up, decided we’d wait a bit longer to get lunch and got back on I-35. And by got back on I-35, I mean that we then sat on the interstate for an hour or more, waiting. There had been an awful accident at 6 a.m. that morning and 5 hours later they were still cleaning it up. So, our schedule got messed up. We’d hoped to get to our friends’ house in Houston at 5, we arrived around 7,  STARVING.
Karson had been telling me for two months that when we went to Houston, we would would go to the best Mexican restaurant EVER. He would then go on and on about it. Eventually, I told him he needed to quit talking about it because I was a afraid it wouldn’t meet expectations. It reminded me of when people build up a movie and then you see it and your opinion is, “That’s it?”  Fortunately, El Tiempo was not the overhyped movie. http://www.eltiempocantina.com/
After freshening up at his friends’ house, we headed out to dinner at El Tiempo. I don't think I've ever been to a Mexican restaurant with a valet before. The place was busy and apparently there are multiple locations throughout Houston. If you're ever in Houston, I highly recommend it. The drinks and food were both quite tasty. After that, we headed back to the Browns' and it wasn't too much later before I called it a night.

No comments: