Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Four weddings...

As many people know, I come from a large extended family. My dad is the oldest of 12 children. All of his brothers and sisters got married and had 2 to 3 kids. I'm the third oldest grandkid. Growing up, many years of my childhood were filled with the annual family wedding of the year. It was an event. In 2010, there will be not 1, or 2, or even 3, I am now up to FOUR family weddings. OMG!!!1!! A wedding in May, June, July and October.

I'm just hoping that next year doesn't turn into the Hugh Grant movie, because I really don't like the flipside of that idea.

Back to happier topics, I was recently involved in a online discussion about getting the father's permission/blessing for marriage. Both times that my sister has been engaged, her fiance has asked my dad for his permission/blessing, so I guess I just naturally assumed that someday when I got married, the guy I would marry would ask my dad too. That said, I'm also now 30. And while I talk to my dad several times a week, it's not like I get to see my parents very much. It's not like my parents support me or have in about 10 years. I just think it would be a nice gesture. Is this an antinquated tradition or do people still do this? Thoughts?

No comments: