Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween

Seeing all of my friends' kids dressed up for Halloween has made me think back to when I was a kid. Getting dressed up and heading out door to door. There are many things that I didn't like about living in a small town, but Halloween was awesome! There was only between 90 - 100 houses and by the time I was eight, I was out going to every participating house in town. Loved it.

I wish I had a scanner because I'm pretty sure I have a picture of my favorite costume of all time. Smurfette. I loved the Smurfs as a kid and I was Smurfette for two years. And I'm not talking store bought costume either. And yet my mom went all out on our costumes, just like with baking, there is no halfway. My mom painted my face blue and bought a yellow string mop for my hair,  I wore white top like dress and blue pants. And blue gloves. Hilarious. I had to have been about four. What I want to know is how on earth I went for two hours without getting that make up everywhere.

This year, I'm going a bit more lowkey, I'm wearing some purple scrubs with a stethoscope, and I might pick up a surgical mask. I hope the scrubs fit, I bought them when I weighed a bit more. What was your favorite Halloween costume ever?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I TOTALLY agree with you about small town TOTing. Beth Shoemaker in my town made popcorn balls EVERY SINGLE YEAR and she made a shit ton of them for every kid who stopped by. I LOVED going to all of the houses b/c we knew everyone and they loved seeing us. My all time favorite was when I was 4 or 5 I think and I wore my Wonder Woman underoos as my costume. I put blue tights underneath, had these cool fuzzy red knee high socks I put over my shoes to look like red boots and my mom made me a gold "forehead" crown and wrist bands that she spray painted gold for me. Then I stuffed my chest with tube socks to make me REALLY look like Wonder Woman. haha My mom curled my hair all pretty and out the door I went.